Jan 31, 2018

2017 Year End Recap


So, another year has passed, 2017 for me was interesting. A lot has happened the last year, actually more of the last couple months, were quite the challenge for me. Right then, here we go with another year end entry.


Feeling all stretched out


Picking things up, last year was generally uneventful till the last months, changes and decisions made. The most notable of things would be my work life and at home. The home bit, things have been tasking but are okay now. Won't go into it any details here though.

Work?

Moving forward, I finally bit the bullet and resigned from work due to the schedule and my general dissatisfaction with how I feel with work. My previous work paid quite decently, the work wasn't horrible but I felt was stuck in a rut and overall was unhappy with it. Thankfully I have stashed away a decent amount to buy me some free time to venture on other things. 

So the plan is to work from home; so this would be either freelance gigs or doing doing remote work which would be ideally part time so I can find other avenues of income. Speaking of which, side hustles and passive income generating work would be things I want established here. Overall, I'm pretty excited in this aspect, having all this control and freedom. This will take a lot of discipline, will power, focus, and grit.

Gadgets and stuff


So spent a pretty penny... I went and got a decent desktop as the previous laptop was acting up quite a bit. It was still functional, runs on a decent speed, but the battery was dead and unit itself was heating up quite a bit. I really wanted another laptop due to its portability and convenience. However since their life span isn't what I hopped for from my experiences. I went for a desktop instead, for the same amount I can get beefier rig and if something breaks down, I can easily buy parts as replacement. It  has been serving me quite well. Oh yeah, got the internet speed at home upgraded from a deathly 1Mbps to wimpy 3Mbps. Yey?

Video Games!


On the video game front, the game that really did it for me for 2017 was The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. The game is an open world RPG that really emphasized exploration. Everything in it was just beautiful and the gameplay was addictive, The only gripe I had was the end battle which could have way better. Anyways, I took my time beating the game and clocked in at 210 hours of play. 

 


I didn't bother with 100% completion, there are actually two DLC out now which I didn't buy. As seen above, I got the Wii U version, perhaps I'll buy the game again plus its DLC when I get a Nintendo Switch. 

On other news, Nintendo discontinued the Miiverse last November 2017, one the back bone features of the Wii U and started porting over some of its best games to the Nintendo Switch. *sigh* I still got a couple of games waiting for me, so the console got a year or so play for me. 


Now to add to my ever growing video game backlog, I got myself a Super Famicom Mini. While it only had 21 games loaded, it had two normal sized game controllers. Of course, both units have been hacked to load load up more games and fixed the user interface to English. As most of the things in my collection, I get these as they meant something in my childhood.

All things considered, things could have been definitely worse. 2017 still has been kind to me. :)

No comments: